In 1992 i started a company called Cybernetic worlds. I had been playing and creating games on my Amiga and was dreaming about virtual worlds where people could interact and game together. The company never lifted as there was no internet and computer just started to be powerful enough to do 3D.
I had to wait 14 years before i found some thing called Second life in 2006. Finally a fully workable virtual world where you could interact, create and party. The first years i was online all the time. I just loved it.
That was 10 years ago. A lot have been happening since. Second life is still here, Opensim makes it possible to run your own grid, High fidelity, AltspaceVR and many others are developing new worlds. And of course my fav tech thing the Oculus rift and all the other headsets that make it possible to be truly immersed in VR.
For me VR have taken my life in a new direction. After several years in the information and software development business i made it in to art school and a career in art. The possibility to combine my crazy interest in new technology and my work as an artist makes my everyday work in VR more and more exciting.
Looking to the future. I think VR will continue to grow when new hardware and software makes it more compelling for just about everyone with a sense of wonder and imagination. Today I have my own grid where it is possible to continue my research in to VR and art. I write scripts and software. Create more worlds and VR products and take a big part in the old but now growing community of virtual aviation. My artlab is a great place to experiment with building hardware and connect to computers and web. I still log in to Second life almost every day and enjoy the new shiny tech future I can see.
The road is open
The work continues.
About the Author
Virtual world artist and blogger. Developer of software and stuff. Read more at My blog
When i am inworld i use my Oculus rift so if i do not answer the chat it is because i cant see my keyboard. Try voice.
More articles from this author
- Action scripting
- Design work
- The landscape
- Media and advertising
- Brand management
- Run your own business
- The new Blender
- Scripting planes in Second life.
- Moving all Opensim databases to MariaDB
- Web templates on its way.
- Waiting for a new R.O.B.U.S.T server
- One of my fav designerd in SL
- The Mobius grid
- Poser 9.Playing around.
- Winter comes to Lendonia.
- Beginners by Cica Ghost
- Another transport for 2worlds2go logistics.
- Modern graphics ETS2
- Dark side of the Rainbow at – Kitely
- Another one for Cica Ghost. “Them”
- Haul to Linkoping
- New Update for Tower
- Finally solved the Webkit problem on Linux
- The 1920s Berlin Project - Weimar Republic role play sim
- Time to drive again.
- Todays company flight to Bergen.
- La Digue du Braek, Muppets Island
- Time again for the OCC2016
- New France expansion.
- X-mas flight 2016
- And a package delivery in a snowy Malmoe
- Evening Sky Aurora flight
- Beta testing MyWorld on Steam.
- Sorry about the downloads. :(
- Started working with the Bento avatar
- Driving the France expansion.
- Constantly exploring.
- Transfer content in virtual worlds
- ROMANVM that’s a great build.
- The view from my house
- Starting to work on AI for Opensim.
- Pride Second life
- Visited High Fidelity today.
- Started work on Opensim Lendonia again.
- First High Fidelity avatar.
- Finally i can talk about Sansar.
- The quality of things in Second life.
- Back in to Sansar. Today Bryn Oh.
- City of lost Angels
- Playing Adrift for a few hours.
- Euro truck simulator 2, TruckersMP, VorpX, Oculus rift
- Once more partying in Second life.
- Sorry about the mess with logins.
- ETS2 Italy expansion: great
- Grid jump to Tranquility Welcome
- Finally the simulator is up again.
- Easter once more in SL