Just got of the grid and thinking about all the stuff I have learned from the last two days. I have to say I am feeling a lot of mixed feelings. The conference is of course a success. TY guys well done.
But listening to Philip and the new tech developments I am not that sure about the evolution of Opensim. It is a big and complicated nest of code guarded by very few people. Can it change enough to be relevant in a few years? The new Second life and I suppose there will be a few new worlds will make it even more difficult to be something to spend time running and developing. On the other hand I see a lot of dedicated people using Opensim for business and recreation.
My artist me say that this is a great platform for different art projects but my CEO of 2worlds2go say maybe to do something else. I did think that I would come out of the conference inspired and full of energy to create more stuff on my own grid. But instead I just feel conflicted.
One big thing is the Oculus rift. I know it really works best in Second life and Opensim but I have this strange feeling it will not be the game changer people think.. A lot of talk about it but nobody really used it. Its like a great idea, but only on paper.
I am going to get some sleep it is late in Sweden and see if I feel the same way tomorrow. I am sad to say I think I will do so. It is the future of Opensim and Second life that bothers me not the fantastic and great Opensim conference that was really fun. That’s one good thing.
About the Author
Virtual world artist and blogger. Developer of software and stuff. Read more at My blog
When i am inworld i use my Oculus rift so if i do not answer the chat it is because i cant see my keyboard. Try voice.
More articles from this author
- Action scripting
- Design work
- The landscape
- Media and advertising
- Brand management
- Run your own business
- The new Blender
- Scripting planes in Second life.
- Moving all Opensim databases to MariaDB
- Web templates on its way.
- Waiting for a new R.O.B.U.S.T server
- One of my fav designerd in SL
- The Mobius grid
- Poser 9.Playing around.
- Winter comes to Lendonia.
- Beginners by Cica Ghost
- Another transport for 2worlds2go logistics.
- Modern graphics ETS2
- Dark side of the Rainbow at – Kitely
- Another one for Cica Ghost. “Them”
- Haul to Linkoping
- New Update for Tower
- Finally solved the Webkit problem on Linux
- The 1920s Berlin Project - Weimar Republic role play sim
- Time to drive again.
- Todays company flight to Bergen.
- La Digue du Braek, Muppets Island
- Time again for the OCC2016
- New France expansion.
- X-mas flight 2016
- And a package delivery in a snowy Malmoe
- Evening Sky Aurora flight
- Beta testing MyWorld on Steam.
- Sorry about the downloads. :(
- Started working with the Bento avatar
- Driving the France expansion.
- Constantly exploring.
- Transfer content in virtual worlds
- ROMANVM that’s a great build.
- The view from my house
- Starting to work on AI for Opensim.
- Pride Second life
- Visited High Fidelity today.
- Started work on Opensim Lendonia again.
- First High Fidelity avatar.
- Finally i can talk about Sansar.
- The quality of things in Second life.
- Back in to Sansar. Today Bryn Oh.
- City of lost Angels
- Playing Adrift for a few hours.
- Euro truck simulator 2, TruckersMP, VorpX, Oculus rift
- Once more partying in Second life.
- Sorry about the mess with logins.
- ETS2 Italy expansion: great
- Grid jump to Tranquility Welcome
- Finally the simulator is up again.
- Easter once more in SL