Had some time over on my vacation to do some real gaming so I packed up the Oculus rift and got going.
First thing is that it is not easy to get games to work. There are a lot of older games that are very well done and easy make the update times for the Oculus. You can also buy new ones made for the Oculus on Steam.
Older games needs a lot of extra stuff and it is not easy to get them going. Different graphic drivers do not work with all software. Everything is alpha some things beta and every edition do not work with everything else. For me it takes a day of reading and googeling and testing to get a game to work. And I have been working in the computer business a long time.
Software to look for is VorpX, Opentrack and Flyinside for FSX.
This said. When you finally get things to work it is beyond amazing. When I did my first liftoff from the runway in Flight simulator X I screamed with joy. The feeling of flying a real plane was overwhelming.
Some of my other fav games is Test drive unlimited 2 (difficult to get working) and Euro Truck Simulator 2 (Super simple to get working. Built in support on Steam), The feeling of being there. Driving around or competing like I have done in GRID (Very difficult to get working). I just do not get how race drivers do it the amount of concentration is staggering.
I have been trying to fly on the moon in Lunar flight. A game made for the Oculus. On Steam. I am great at crashing in to things.
I have done Wow, Portal, Half life 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution. These games are easy to get going with VorpX but the scale of thing in the games are totally off. You are in a land of giants and it feels wrong. One way of playing these games are in VorpX cinema mode. That works better. You sit in a home cinema with a giant screen in front of you for some reason that helps. Still got the 3D.
When you get over the initial movement sickness of virtual reality it is so good and you will never want to be without it again. I cant wait until the headsets come out and there will be more games developed for VR.
About the Author
Virtual world artist and blogger. Developer of software and stuff. Read more at My blog
When i am inworld i use my Oculus rift so if i do not answer the chat it is because i cant see my keyboard. Try voice.
More articles from this author
- Action scripting
- Design work
- The landscape
- Media and advertising
- Brand management
- Run your own business
- The new Blender
- Scripting planes in Second life.
- Moving all Opensim databases to MariaDB
- Web templates on its way.
- Waiting for a new R.O.B.U.S.T server
- One of my fav designerd in SL
- The Mobius grid
- Poser 9.Playing around.
- Winter comes to Lendonia.
- Beginners by Cica Ghost
- Another transport for 2worlds2go logistics.
- Modern graphics ETS2
- Dark side of the Rainbow at – Kitely
- Another one for Cica Ghost. “Them”
- Haul to Linkoping
- New Update for Tower
- Finally solved the Webkit problem on Linux
- The 1920s Berlin Project - Weimar Republic role play sim
- Time to drive again.
- Todays company flight to Bergen.
- La Digue du Braek, Muppets Island
- Time again for the OCC2016
- New France expansion.
- X-mas flight 2016
- And a package delivery in a snowy Malmoe
- Evening Sky Aurora flight
- Beta testing MyWorld on Steam.
- Sorry about the downloads. :(
- Started working with the Bento avatar
- Driving the France expansion.
- Constantly exploring.
- Transfer content in virtual worlds
- ROMANVM that’s a great build.
- The view from my house
- Starting to work on AI for Opensim.
- Pride Second life
- Visited High Fidelity today.
- Started work on Opensim Lendonia again.
- First High Fidelity avatar.
- Finally i can talk about Sansar.
- The quality of things in Second life.
- Back in to Sansar. Today Bryn Oh.
- City of lost Angels
- Playing Adrift for a few hours.
- Euro truck simulator 2, TruckersMP, VorpX, Oculus rift
- Once more partying in Second life.
- Sorry about the mess with logins.
- ETS2 Italy expansion: great
- Grid jump to Tranquility Welcome
- Finally the simulator is up again.
- Easter once more in SL