I am waiting for the day when I can sail and wind and weather makes a difference. My ship moves as it should on beautiful simulated waves.
I have been testing Aurora sim http://aurora-sim.org/ and I used it on a 64 bit Linux install. It is my developer machine for Linux so I have a lot of library's on it and Aurora compiled just fine. No problem to set it up but I never go the database to work so I just switched to MySQL and it worked great.
I wanted a 1024*1024 sim and that was no problem. I got a lot of space. Made a terrain file and installed also worked great. And I loaded some IOR files and then I was in some trouble. Worked for a while and then I got some asset loss. Textures and buildings disappeared. But it is a alpha software so that’s ok I guess. Could be some database or connection problems.
The big think with Aurora sim is that you can get big areas to sail or fly around in and you can move between sims.
The bad thing is that like Opensim and Second life the physics sucks big time.
I have been trying to make skies, surf boards, boats, planes and trucks and it is no use. It is just to bad. I have even tried to make my own physics but the only thing that interacts with the sim is push() and it is not responsive enough to get any feeling.
In Opensim you can run several sims as one but it is a little bit of a hack.
This is my from the OSgrid I have added a island I am building right now. What structure that will finally win Opensim or Aurora I do not know. The developers say that the problem is in the viewers not the servers.
I will continue testing the Aurora installation. Big areas makes it possible to do fun stuff together with friends and There world have a great working physics engine for vehicles so it is possible to make it work. But I think it must be in the viewer.
About the Author
Virtual world artist and blogger. Developer of software and stuff. Read more at My blog
When i am inworld i use my Oculus rift so if i do not answer the chat it is because i cant see my keyboard. Try voice.
More articles from this author
- Action scripting
- Design work
- The landscape
- Media and advertising
- Brand management
- Run your own business
- The new Blender
- Scripting planes in Second life.
- Moving all Opensim databases to MariaDB
- Web templates on its way.
- Waiting for a new R.O.B.U.S.T server
- One of my fav designerd in SL
- The Mobius grid
- Poser 9.Playing around.
- Winter comes to Lendonia.
- Beginners by Cica Ghost
- Another transport for 2worlds2go logistics.
- Modern graphics ETS2
- Dark side of the Rainbow at – Kitely
- Another one for Cica Ghost. “Them”
- Haul to Linkoping
- New Update for Tower
- Finally solved the Webkit problem on Linux
- The 1920s Berlin Project - Weimar Republic role play sim
- Time to drive again.
- Todays company flight to Bergen.
- La Digue du Braek, Muppets Island
- Time again for the OCC2016
- New France expansion.
- X-mas flight 2016
- And a package delivery in a snowy Malmoe
- Evening Sky Aurora flight
- Beta testing MyWorld on Steam.
- Sorry about the downloads. :(
- Started working with the Bento avatar
- Driving the France expansion.
- Constantly exploring.
- Transfer content in virtual worlds
- ROMANVM that’s a great build.
- The view from my house
- Starting to work on AI for Opensim.
- Pride Second life
- Visited High Fidelity today.
- Started work on Opensim Lendonia again.
- First High Fidelity avatar.
- Finally i can talk about Sansar.
- The quality of things in Second life.
- Back in to Sansar. Today Bryn Oh.
- City of lost Angels
- Playing Adrift for a few hours.
- Euro truck simulator 2, TruckersMP, VorpX, Oculus rift
- Once more partying in Second life.
- Sorry about the mess with logins.
- ETS2 Italy expansion: great
- Grid jump to Tranquility Welcome
- Finally the simulator is up again.
- Easter once more in SL