I have made some experiments with connection a wheel and driving around in SL. My truck script works great for ordinary driving with the keyboard. Of course it lacks all feeling of driving a car or truck but it works and you can cross sim lines ok for the most of the time. But there is no way of connecting peripherals to the lsl scripts. I have tried many settings on the steering wheel none that actually work very well.
I have been using Test drive Unlimited 2 for a while. A driving sim and MMO game where you meet other people on the roads. Nice driving, competitions and stuff. It is a lot of fun. Yes it is a game and everything is on your computer so the game updates very smooth but there is still a lot of other people driving and you meet them in there cars driving around the island of Ibiza. I wish I could do that in SL. I would pay for it. I did buy theTDU2 on Steam.
The tech problems are to big of course I understand that. SL is old so what to do?
Maybe it is time to take out the physics. What I it used for? It cant run anything and it is on the servers. Physics should of course be in the viewer. Then you can set simple or real depending on how powerful computer you have and it is not lagging the servers. Sim crossing would not be affected. It could be sold as extra add on for trains, planes and cars and make LL some extra bucks or let developers write their own. The actual code computing a plane is just a few lines. The rest is interfacing.
I wonder how many developers are working on SL anymore. And if business are thinking up new ways to make money and make me able live in this world in the future?
Nothing been done for years on a lot of issues. If you want new development you have to check Opensim. I do some testing there next.
About the Author
Virtual world artist and blogger. Developer of software and stuff. Read more at My blog
When i am inworld i use my Oculus rift so if i do not answer the chat it is because i cant see my keyboard. Try voice.
More articles from this author
- Action scripting
- Design work
- The landscape
- Media and advertising
- Brand management
- Run your own business
- The new Blender
- Scripting planes in Second life.
- Moving all Opensim databases to MariaDB
- Web templates on its way.
- Waiting for a new R.O.B.U.S.T server
- One of my fav designerd in SL
- The Mobius grid
- Poser 9.Playing around.
- Winter comes to Lendonia.
- Beginners by Cica Ghost
- Another transport for 2worlds2go logistics.
- Modern graphics ETS2
- Dark side of the Rainbow at – Kitely
- Another one for Cica Ghost. “Them”
- Haul to Linkoping
- New Update for Tower
- Finally solved the Webkit problem on Linux
- The 1920s Berlin Project - Weimar Republic role play sim
- Time to drive again.
- Todays company flight to Bergen.
- La Digue du Braek, Muppets Island
- Time again for the OCC2016
- New France expansion.
- X-mas flight 2016
- And a package delivery in a snowy Malmoe
- Evening Sky Aurora flight
- Beta testing MyWorld on Steam.
- Sorry about the downloads. :(
- Started working with the Bento avatar
- Driving the France expansion.
- Constantly exploring.
- Transfer content in virtual worlds
- ROMANVM that’s a great build.
- The view from my house
- Starting to work on AI for Opensim.
- Pride Second life
- Visited High Fidelity today.
- Started work on Opensim Lendonia again.
- First High Fidelity avatar.
- Finally i can talk about Sansar.
- The quality of things in Second life.
- Back in to Sansar. Today Bryn Oh.
- City of lost Angels
- Playing Adrift for a few hours.
- Euro truck simulator 2, TruckersMP, VorpX, Oculus rift
- Once more partying in Second life.
- Sorry about the mess with logins.
- ETS2 Italy expansion: great
- Grid jump to Tranquility Welcome
- Finally the simulator is up again.
- Easter once more in SL