I have kept out of Opensim and Second life for a while. Just some occasional visits to pay for my gallery and shops.
I have explored some other communities that have what I think virtual worlds lack. Simulated vehicles. I have found some old Flight simulator networks that are really thriving. Thousand of pilots and controllers do virtual flying everyday. Real training systems for pilots and controllers. With classes over internet with TeamSpeak. Yes it can be used for other things than games.
I am amazed that old software like Flight simulator 2004 and FSX are still expanded with new products both commercial and free from the community. I found people driving sports cars together and now I am just waiting to meet other trucks in Euro truck simulator.
People still play Counter strike and my World of warcraft server is full like never before.
It is strange that big areas of Second life is so empty. I check my OSgrid island and maybe a few visits a month. Clearly virtual worlds have a great future. The art community in SL is strong and still some fascinating work is done. LEA being one of the places to visit. Clubs still come and go and I suppose there are a lot of people having cybersex. As there are no theme in virtual worlds and a lot of freedom I think it would be the perfect place to find new things to do. But unfortunately no.
I found a lot of other virtual hobbies to create for and now days I am trying to figure out what to do in SL and Opensim when I have found so many other great places to be on the net.
We need a new vision to develop further or a great new business idea.
About the Author
Virtual world artist and blogger. Developer of software and stuff. Read more at My blog
When i am inworld i use my Oculus rift so if i do not answer the chat it is because i cant see my keyboard. Try voice.
More articles from this author
- Action scripting
- Design work
- The landscape
- Media and advertising
- Brand management
- Run your own business
- The new Blender
- Scripting planes in Second life.
- Moving all Opensim databases to MariaDB
- Web templates on its way.
- Waiting for a new R.O.B.U.S.T server
- One of my fav designerd in SL
- The Mobius grid
- Poser 9.Playing around.
- Winter comes to Lendonia.
- Beginners by Cica Ghost
- Another transport for 2worlds2go logistics.
- Modern graphics ETS2
- Dark side of the Rainbow at – Kitely
- Another one for Cica Ghost. “Them”
- Haul to Linkoping
- New Update for Tower
- Finally solved the Webkit problem on Linux
- The 1920s Berlin Project - Weimar Republic role play sim
- Time to drive again.
- Todays company flight to Bergen.
- La Digue du Braek, Muppets Island
- Time again for the OCC2016
- New France expansion.
- X-mas flight 2016
- And a package delivery in a snowy Malmoe
- Evening Sky Aurora flight
- Beta testing MyWorld on Steam.
- Sorry about the downloads. :(
- Started working with the Bento avatar
- Driving the France expansion.
- Constantly exploring.
- Transfer content in virtual worlds
- ROMANVM that’s a great build.
- The view from my house
- Starting to work on AI for Opensim.
- Pride Second life
- Visited High Fidelity today.
- Started work on Opensim Lendonia again.
- First High Fidelity avatar.
- Finally i can talk about Sansar.
- The quality of things in Second life.
- Back in to Sansar. Today Bryn Oh.
- City of lost Angels
- Playing Adrift for a few hours.
- Euro truck simulator 2, TruckersMP, VorpX, Oculus rift
- Once more partying in Second life.
- Sorry about the mess with logins.
- ETS2 Italy expansion: great
- Grid jump to Tranquility Welcome
- Finally the simulator is up again.
- Easter once more in SL