The new build for the OSgrid celebration.
Many people looking for a new hype in virtual worlds. The upcoming Oculus and the High Fidelity world. I do not believe it will be another hype with a lot of media coverage. Virtual worlds are mainstream today. We are a lot of avatars using VW today and I suppose with all the different game worlds there are a lot of us. Nothing is new anymore.
I use different worlds everyday. When I want to do some questing I go to Guild wars 2, if I want to drive fast cars with out killing myself I have Test drive unlimited 2, for art and socializing there is Second life and for building I go to my own devgrid or the OSgrid with Opensim.Today I use VATSIM and Flight simulator a lot. It is a thriving virtual community and a good example on how virtual worlds can build on a common interest.
Flight simulator was not made as a virtual world software at all. It is a simulator/game but a lot of clever people did not want it to stop there. So by adding software and networking to a otherwise closed game program they succeeded in creating a new world with pilots and controllers flying thousands of flights everyday. Creating YouTube movies and pictures for all aspects of virtual flying. And a education system for everybody that wants to join in. It was not made as a virtual world software but ended up as one anyway. There is a strong force here.
I think people want to create and work together. It is a basic human instinct to create new community's. So virtual worlds is here to stay.A new hype is not needed. Virtual worlds will expand without it anyway.
About the Author
Virtual world artist and blogger. Developer of software and stuff. Read more at My blog
When i am inworld i use my Oculus rift so if i do not answer the chat it is because i cant see my keyboard. Try voice.
More articles from this author
- Action scripting
- Design work
- The landscape
- Media and advertising
- Brand management
- Run your own business
- The new Blender
- Scripting planes in Second life.
- Moving all Opensim databases to MariaDB
- Web templates on its way.
- Waiting for a new R.O.B.U.S.T server
- One of my fav designerd in SL
- The Mobius grid
- Poser 9.Playing around.
- Winter comes to Lendonia.
- Beginners by Cica Ghost
- Another transport for 2worlds2go logistics.
- Modern graphics ETS2
- Dark side of the Rainbow at – Kitely
- Another one for Cica Ghost. “Them”
- Haul to Linkoping
- New Update for Tower
- Finally solved the Webkit problem on Linux
- The 1920s Berlin Project - Weimar Republic role play sim
- Time to drive again.
- Todays company flight to Bergen.
- La Digue du Braek, Muppets Island
- Time again for the OCC2016
- New France expansion.
- X-mas flight 2016
- And a package delivery in a snowy Malmoe
- Evening Sky Aurora flight
- Beta testing MyWorld on Steam.
- Sorry about the downloads. :(
- Started working with the Bento avatar
- Driving the France expansion.
- Constantly exploring.
- Transfer content in virtual worlds
- ROMANVM that’s a great build.
- The view from my house
- Starting to work on AI for Opensim.
- Pride Second life
- Visited High Fidelity today.
- Started work on Opensim Lendonia again.
- First High Fidelity avatar.
- Finally i can talk about Sansar.
- The quality of things in Second life.
- Back in to Sansar. Today Bryn Oh.
- City of lost Angels
- Playing Adrift for a few hours.
- Euro truck simulator 2, TruckersMP, VorpX, Oculus rift
- Once more partying in Second life.
- Sorry about the mess with logins.
- ETS2 Italy expansion: great
- Grid jump to Tranquility Welcome
- Finally the simulator is up again.
- Easter once more in SL