I have been spending two days now with the Oculus Rift and I have had a lot of fun. It have been nothing of what I did expect. For good and worse. After some experimenting I finally got it going. Not to difficult. Of course I use DK2 so not much software are ready to use. It is very new.
I have been testing games and of course Second life. And I have to say SL looks better in real immersive 3D. The Oculus screen is still to low resolution but you get the idea where virtual worlds are going in the future. I thought that rides and big landscapes would be the best but I was so wrong. Rides gets me motion sickness. When to may things move the brain just cant take it. Big landscapes do not translate very well to 3D. No it’s the small areas, houses and glades that really work the best. 3D art looks great. There is a new art form coming now me think.
And of course the avatars. That’s the best of it all. Wow what cool avatars there are out there in SL land. When you see them in the Oculus there is a big difference from the ordinary computer screen. I just had to check out the adult areas and whhooohhooo HOT stuff. Guess why many people will buy this thing.
What I would like to have in SL is a nice café where you can sit and look at people passing buy. Just like RL.
The Oculus Rift is a big thing. I did some testing of some old games but size and gameplay are really off. I had a lot of fun with Half life 2 though. It updates so fast that I did not get any motion sickness. It is still a problem but maybe DK2 will fix that.
Cant wait to visit some more places. My city on the OSgrid when it come up again and many more. Virtual worlds feels fresh again.
About the Author
Virtual world artist and blogger. Developer of software and stuff. Read more at My blog
When i am inworld i use my Oculus rift so if i do not answer the chat it is because i cant see my keyboard. Try voice.
More articles from this author
- Action scripting
- Design work
- The landscape
- Media and advertising
- Brand management
- Run your own business
- The new Blender
- Scripting planes in Second life.
- Moving all Opensim databases to MariaDB
- Web templates on its way.
- Waiting for a new R.O.B.U.S.T server
- One of my fav designerd in SL
- The Mobius grid
- Poser 9.Playing around.
- Winter comes to Lendonia.
- Beginners by Cica Ghost
- Another transport for 2worlds2go logistics.
- Modern graphics ETS2
- Dark side of the Rainbow at – Kitely
- Another one for Cica Ghost. “Them”
- Haul to Linkoping
- New Update for Tower
- Finally solved the Webkit problem on Linux
- The 1920s Berlin Project - Weimar Republic role play sim
- Time to drive again.
- Todays company flight to Bergen.
- La Digue du Braek, Muppets Island
- Time again for the OCC2016
- New France expansion.
- X-mas flight 2016
- And a package delivery in a snowy Malmoe
- Evening Sky Aurora flight
- Beta testing MyWorld on Steam.
- Sorry about the downloads. :(
- Started working with the Bento avatar
- Driving the France expansion.
- Constantly exploring.
- Transfer content in virtual worlds
- ROMANVM that’s a great build.
- The view from my house
- Starting to work on AI for Opensim.
- Pride Second life
- Visited High Fidelity today.
- Started work on Opensim Lendonia again.
- First High Fidelity avatar.
- Finally i can talk about Sansar.
- The quality of things in Second life.
- Back in to Sansar. Today Bryn Oh.
- City of lost Angels
- Playing Adrift for a few hours.
- Euro truck simulator 2, TruckersMP, VorpX, Oculus rift
- Once more partying in Second life.
- Sorry about the mess with logins.
- ETS2 Italy expansion: great
- Grid jump to Tranquility Welcome
- Finally the simulator is up again.
- Easter once more in SL
- Website work continues on a stormy sea
- The new High Fidelity Sandbox.